Welcome to the Botanical Garden of the Virgin Islands
St. George Village Botanical Garden of St. Croix is a public, non-profit organization, established in 1972, that is dedicated to the conservation, education, and preservation of the ethnobotanical heritage of the U S Virgin Islands. It is located on a sixteen acre site just off the Queen Mary Highway. The botanical collections, including over 1500 native and exotic species and varieties, are established in and around the restored buildings and stabilized ruins of a 19th century Danish sugar cane plantation and partially overlap an Amerindian settlement which dates back almost 2,000 years.
We differ from a park or public pleasure garden which offers an attractive retreat. A botanical garden is defined as “a garden created to maintain collections of living plants for the purpose of research, conservation, display, and education.” We are the only institution that meets this definition in the entire U.S Virgin Islands. The modern botanical garden does seek to be an attractive retreat, like parks and pleasure gardens, but is so much more.
The first tropical botanical garden was Pamplemousse Botanical Garden on the Indian Ocean of Mauritius founded in 1735, and it experimented to find desirable plants to be introduced into local cultivation. We continue this same tradition today. Our conservation and education functions are the most important things we do, and will be even more so in the future. The garden has been placed on the National National Register of Historic Places which denotes historic sites worthy of preservation.
We look forward to seeing you in person at the Botanical Garden of the Virgin Islands.